Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hawaii, Bookbags, and Guided Reading Groups

First, check out this cute 31 bag I won from Tania at My Second Sense - so cute!

When I was in Hawaii this summer, I knew that I wanted to bring back part of the culture to share with my students.

I bought two books while we were on the island and I shared them with my students today:


My students also got their new book bags today!  We had some pretty yucky, all yellow ones.  Now we have all different colors so it is easier for the students to find their bag.


They came wrapped in plastic and kinda smelled.  My students decided they smelled like air mattresses.   Um, what?  Interesting schema they have there.

I am working on being a better Guided Reading teacher.  I just have a hard time planning and working with my groups.  I used an idea from Lesson Plan SOS to create my own Guided Reading Groups bulletin board:


Here's the close-up:


In the "Now Showing" area, I'll place a post-it with the name of the book we are working on.  In the "Starring" area, I will put the pictures of the students in that group.  My board is magnetic, so I am putting magnets on the kids' pictures.  That way, my groups will be flexible.

I hope the kids love it and I hope that it helps me!






4 comments:

  1. That's a good idea to make the groups flexible by magnets - I haven't had my own classroom yet, but during my Internship, I had a hard time with guided reading, too. Cannot wait to see what you end up doing!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your book bags! We have the hard ones & they fall over al the time. I need some like these:)
    Can you tell me where you got them & how much they were? Also did your school buy or did
    you have to pay for them? Thanks for sharing! I know what you mean about guided reading.
    Thanks again, Jackie jackie@acsnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome and colorful bookbags! Above all, 31 bag is excellent. Simple yet alluring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover