Friday, November 16, 2012

Thursday Book Bags

Wow.  It's been a week.  Moving on.

Back in September, I posted about Take Home Book Bags.  Well, after two months, my book bags are finally in action!  Using many ideas from the wonderful Christina Bainbridge, I created Thursday Book Bags!

They are still a work in progress, but I thought I would share with you where we are at.  I have about 27 bags (for 19 students).  On Thursday, I call students up to choose their Thursday Book Bag.  Each student has a class number (which we use for everything!), so they place their number next to the bag they want to take home.


The bag they choose is completely up to them, however they need to choose a new bag each week.  

I keep track of the bags with this chart.
When they choose a bag, I put a circle next to that bag name and under their class number.  When the students return their book, I place a check inside the circle.

The students check their book bag out on Thursday and return it on the following Tuesday.  That gives me a day to check the bags for missing items and it gives students an extra day to return their bags if they forget.  If they forget their bag on Tuesday, they get an "oops" slip as a reminder.  Other than a few reminders, I haven't had an issue yet!

Take a peek inside some of the bags...


The bags are from Really Good Stuff.  Our school replaced our kids in-school book bags, so I put the old ones to good use!  They are extremely durable.  On the outside of the bag, is the bag name.  On the inside are 3-4 bags related to the subject of the bag.  Some bags also have little activities in them.  In each bag, I also put a list of the bag's contents as well as discussion questions for parents.

They are working wonderfully so far and the kids love them!

Happy Friday!

P.S. ~ Keep an eye on my blog...HUGE giveaway coming soon!  Think 30+ wonderful contributions from amazing teachers!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you have totally inspired me. I just inherited 21 of those bags from another teacher. Unused - in perfect condition. It isn't enough for my whole class this year so I thought I might purchase a few more and use them for our nightly reading homework...but now I know exactly what I want to do with them. I might have to pick your brain!!!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs tomorrow. :)

    Donna
    Math Coach’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a thematic bag!! hmm....I might make that a center :) ooh..or lit circles...I LOVE this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of activities do you put in your bags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle!
      I don't have too many activities yet. The math bag has some dice and math games. Some bags have reader's theater scripts. Some just simply have little toys/stuffed animals in them. As I continue this project, I will be adding more activities. The kids always ask, "does this bag have an activity??" They love them!

      Delete
  5. If the students get an oops slip, do they still take home a new bag or keep the one they forgot for another week?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover